Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sweatin' for Sammy Helps Others

For years I have had a dream.  That dream was to build a park in our city that everyone could play at.  I have so much fun at the park with Callie, but quite honestly, it's kind of a headache taking Samantha to the park.  When she was younger, it was ok because she could fit into the baby swings.  And she loves the swings.  But now that she's older, it's difficult for me to get her in and out of those small baby swings.  There are some parks that have high back swings for special needs kids, but let's be honest...every kids loves those swings and they are ALWAYS being used by someone else.  And I'm not about to go and tell some kid to get off the swing.  I just can't do that.


Tanbark is difficult for Sammy to walk on.  There are ledges along the playgrounds that often make it challenging for her to walk up and down.  And really, there's just not much she can do.

Little by little, I came up with what I wanted Sammy and other kids like her to have.  I thought of my nephew, too, who is in a wheelchair.  What would he want to do but can't at a park?  I had plans for him and kids like him.

I talked with my committee for Sweatin' for Sammy and the director of the non-profit we use, DCipher Group Foundation.  I asked them how they would feel using Sweatin' for Sammy as a way to raise some money to create this park.  I had my architect, I had what I wanted, all I needed was money and I was getting ready to approach San Jose with my plans.  I needed them to donate the land.  I was looking at old parks that needed renovation and was going to suggest they NOT spend the money renovating and give it to us...and in 5 years time we'd have a special needs park -- all accessible park -- that would bring people to our beautiful city.

We were all on board.

Then, I was made aware of the fact that the San Jose Rotary Club was beginning this same project!  I was momentarily disappointed thinking that my dreams weren't going to be JUST as I imagined.  But relief hit when I realized we could support them and I'd have a huge load off my shoulders!  Wahoo!  Planning a park is not easy, and if I could just help with fundraising, yeah!


So, this year, I am proud to announce that Sweatin' for Sammy is again raising money for Sammy's therapy....(check out our new logo) and after those costs are met......








we will be making a (hopefully LARGE) donation to the San Jose Rotary Club to help build the San Jose Children's Play Garden.  Look at the link and see their great plans.

I'm excited for the future with our family as we visit this park.

I'm excited that Sweatin' for Sammy is not only helping Samantha, but so many other families in our community.

I'm also really excited to see how much money we can raise.

Come be a part of this year with us.  And if you've joined us in the past...join us again.  It's going to be a great year.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails