Friday, January 7, 2011

One Smart Cookie

I'm talking about you little Sammy Sam.  The other night, I was thinking about all the things you're saying and trying to do, and I realized something.  You are saying things like "I go" and "I kicking."  We think you are sincerely saying "I don't want to."  Now, that last one may be a mimic in full, but you use it appropriately.  The thing here, though, is that you are using the pronoun "I."  I have never said to you "I go?"  Never.  I ask you, "You go?"  or  "Are you going?"  I never use I for you.  This only leads me to conclude that you have figured out, and understand, that I means you!  So, you get that when you use I, you are talking about yourself.  This is a big deal.  That is a big concept. 

What does this really mean!?

What this really means is that you are one smart cookie my friend.  That's right.  YOU.  And, this also leads me to believe that you understand a lot more than you can let us know.  All this knowledge is hidden in you.  Some of it's because you can't verbalize too much yet -- you're still discovering new sounds and are figuring out how to use your mouth and tongue to make sounds and words.  Some of it's because your body limits you.  If we tell you to do something, you may know what we're talking about and maybe you want to be obedient and do as you're told, but you either physically can't do it, or perhaps you can't figure out just how to make your body do it yet.  But, some of it, I'm sure, is because you're perfectly happy doing whatever you want to do.  You've got a good deal going on here...and if we were to catch on that you know more than we think...oh boy, things would change.  Am I right, or am I right?  I know, you're thinking, "Let them think I don't get it.  That way, I can keep throwing things, licking the table, chewing on things, breaking dishes, yelling and screaming whenever I want (in a playful way of course, but still distracting while in church!), and pretty much getting away with everything."

Well, we're catching on little lady.  And, just because you're so dang cute, you'll probably keep getting away with a whole lot.  Wait a minute!  See!  You even know how to use your looks to get your way!  Unbelievable!  You're one clever little girl Sammy Sam Sam.  I sure love you.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that really is a HUGE developmental milestone! Sammy, you are an amazing and smart girl. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails