Friday, May 28, 2010

Ouch!


Little Sammers,

Do you remember just a couple weeks ago? We were driving to OT to have a session with Tiffany. We were almost there when someone drove out of nowhere. I promise baby, I tried to stop. But we crashed. And you screamed. I was so frazzled. I remember hearing you scream, and then I heard a ticking noise. I tried to get out of the car but had to push the door open. Then I realized I hadn't put the car in park. When I did, the ticking noise stopped. And you stopped crying once I held you. The firemen were first on the scene and they immediately disconnected the car battery. That was the last time that we would hear our little car hum ever again.

Looking at this car makes me feel so grateful. I know there are worse accidents, but you aren't in those. You were in this one, with me. And even though it wasn't my fault, I still think about it often, how it could have been worse. I'm grateful for your car seat! It held you safe and tight. Who ever plans on this happening? Not me.

You know, I'm so glad you're ok. The silly thing is that Daddy and I are both really sad to say goodbye to this car. This car has so many family memories. We've had this one car since we got married -- so that means when we got pregnant, we went out to eat in celebration -- this car taking us there. When we got your unofficial prenatal diagnosis, I cried sitting in this car. When the geneticist advised us not to have anymore children, I cried again, in this car. We have had numerous doctor appointments and emergency drives to the hospital. You have thrown up in this baby, wailed your heart out, and giggled uncontrollably in this car. We also drove Callie home from the airport in this car...becoming a family of four. I ran errands with the two of you behind me, in this back seat, for 2.5 years.

I want you to know that it's ok to have a little attachment to things. There are memories and emotions connected with those. But remember, but they are just things. Remember that Mommy, Daddy, Callie and a whole world of people adore you. They are who you should invest your heart in.

I'm so grateful you're mine and that you're here.
I love you,
Mommy

1 comment:

  1. Your poor car. I'm sorry. :( I know that it's just a thing, but as you said, things have memories! Thank goodness you were both okay.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails